Jerusalem Synagogue

opening hours

Sunday – Friday
10 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Saturdays and Jewish holidays
closed

Buy ticket
on-line
contact

Jeruzalémská 7
Prague 1

show on map
entrance fees

Adults

100 CZK
(eTicket 90 CZK)

Children under 6

free

Children under 15 and
students

60 CZK
(eTicket 54 CZK)


Reduced entrance fee for visitors with valid ticket to the Old-New Synagogue:

Adults

60 CZK

Children under 6

free

Children under 15 and
students

40 CZK

About the synagogue

The synagogue was built between 1905–1906 by a Viennese architect and an Imperial construction supervisor Wilhelm Stiassny, as a replacement for three Synagogues (the Zigeiner, the Velkodvorská, and the New) destroyed in the years 1898-1906 during the redevelopment. Although the association which took up the challenge of building the Synagogue was founded in 1896, it took ten years before the Synagogue was inaugurated on 16 September 1906. Initially it bore the name of the Jubilee Temple of Emperor Franz Joseph to commemorate the 50th anniversary of his reign, in 1898. After WWI, the present name, the Jerusalem Synagogue, based on the street name where it stands, slowly gained ground. The street name has nothing to do with the Synagogue, however: the street is named after the Church of Jerusalem former chapel of St Henry, nearby.

The Jerusalem Synagogue is distinctive in that it is one of only eight Synagogues built to W. Stiassny’s design, where services are still held. The only interlude was during the war years 1941–1945, when it acted as a repository of seized Jewish property.

Besides its religious role, the Synagogue is a cultural and exhibition venue. The concerts regularly held here let visitors listen to the uniquely preserved original organ by Emanuel Stephen Peter.